[Python-Dev] how important is setting co_filename for a module being imported to what __file__ is set to?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 15:19:29 CEST 2009

Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Brett Cannon <brett <at> python.org> writes:
>> Now I can't change
>> co_filename from Python as it's a read-only attribute and thus can't
>> match this functionality in importlib w/o creating some custom code to
>> allow me to specify the co_filename somewhere
>
> Why can't we simply make co_filename a writable attribute instead of inventing
> some complicated API?

I thought of that question as well, but the later exchange between Guido
and Brett made me realise that a lot more than the top level module code
object is affected here - the adjustment also needs to be propagated to
the code objects created by the module for functions and generators and
so forth.

Cheers,
Nick.