[Python-Dev] Adding a C Module to python source distribution

Shashank Singh shashank.sunny.singh at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 10:08:23 CEST 2009

Hi All,

I am trying to add a module written in c to python source on Win32 using
VC++ 9 Pro.
I went through the available documentation but there doesn't seem to be any
clear instruction on how to do that.

Basically I opened pcbuild.sln in vc++, added the c file (xxx.c) to Modules/
directory.
Building the solution after that works fine: xxx.c is compiled (no errors,
no warnings) and
the python executable gets created. But I am not able to import the module
defined
in xxx.c using that executable.

Do I need to register this module some place else too (setup.py?) ?

Any hints and pointers will be appreciated :)

--shashank