[Python-Dev] Support for Encrypted Zip as python scripts

Shashank Singh shashank.sunny.singh at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 06:23:24 CEST 2009

A litle off topic but the zipfile doc says: "Decryption is extremely slow as
it
is implemented in native python rather than C".

Why is this limitation there? I mean, is there any specific reason for not
implementing
it in C?

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 8:45 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > OMG, the use case is actually running a script without giving the user
> > access to the script's source? Agreed that's a big -1.
> >
> > I thought it was just for running a zip containing code so secret you
> > don't want to leave it around on your hard drive without encryption
> > (say, the program you use to compute your employee's bonuses, or
> > perhaps a patented algoritm for detecting spam). That use case would
> > make a small amount of sense, though I personally don't care enough to
> > write the code to support it.
>
> Actually, the issue posting doesn't say either way - it doesn't provide
> any real use cases at all.
>
> For local protection of confidential information there are already much
> better solutions out there (e.g. whole disk encryption, OS file
> permissions, OS folder encryption), so a poor-man's DRM was the only
> remaining remotely plausible use case I could see (and that's a bad idea
> for all the reasons that DRM is almost always a bad idea).
>
> Now, that could just be a failure of imagination on my part, but genuine
> use case suggestions for the feature have been non existent so far.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.
>
> --

Regards
Shashank Singh
Senior Undergraduate, Department of Computer Science and Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
shashank.sunny.singh at gmail.com
http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/~shashanksingh