[Python-Dev] Mercurial migration: help needed

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 05:20:34 CEST 2009

Mark Hammond wrote:
> On 23/08/2009 5:25 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>>> If this becomes seen as 'my' cause, I suspect it will run out of steam
>>> very quickly.  I truly hope python-dev, as a community, takes some
>>> ownership of this issue
>>
>> That certainly won't happen. python-dev, as a community, has never ever
>> taken ownership of anything. It's always individuals who take ownership.
>
> I believe ownership of a task and ownership of a cause are somewhat
> different.
>
> In other words, I'm happy to take ownership of a number as tasks
> relating to this cause, but if the general feeling is that it is my
> cause rather than *our* cause, then I will probably opt-out - I'm taking
> these tasks on at this moment purely because I believe it *is* a common
> cause.

If by ownership of the cause you just mean "acceptable handling of line
conversions" as being one of the criteria that must be dealt with before
the switch to hg actually happens, then I think you have that agreement
already.

We're not going to accept a regression in line handling from what SVN
provides. Your proposed improvements to win32text (possibly in the form
of a new extension based on win32text rather than a new version of
win32text itself) along with server side enforcement sound like they
will meet the need.

Cheers,
Nick.