[Python-Dev] PEP 383 and GUI libraries

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Thu Apr 30 10:55:12 CEST 2009

On approximately 4/30/2009 1:48 AM, came the following characters from
the keyboard of Martin v. Löwis:
> I checked how GUI libraries deal with half surrogates.
> In pygtk, a warning gets issued to the console
>
> /tmp/helloworld.py:71: PangoWarning: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to
> pango_layout_set_text()
>   self.window.show()
>
> and then the widget contains three crossed boxes.
>
> wxpython (in its wxgtk version) behaves the same way.
>
> PyQt displays a single square box.

Interesting.

Did you use a name with other characters?  Were they displayed?  Both
before and after the surrogates?

Did you use one or three half surrogates, to produce the three crossed
boxes?

Did you use one or three half surrogates, to produce the single square box?

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/