[Python-Dev] PEP 383 (again)

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Tue Apr 28 11:00:11 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:37:45AM +0200, Thomas Breuel wrote:
> Returning an error for an incorrect encoding doesn't make
> internationalization harder, it makes it easier because it makes debugging
> easier.

   What is a "correct encoding"?

   I have an FTP server to which clients with different local encodings
are connecting. FTP protocol doesn't have a notion of encoding so filenames
on the filesystem are in koi8-r, cp1251 and utf-8 encodings - all in one
directory! What should os.listdir() return for that directory? What is a
correct encoding for that directory?!

   If any program starts to raise errors Python becomes completely unusable
for me! But is there anything I can debug here?

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru