[Python-Dev] PEP 383: Non-decodable Bytes in System Character Interfaces

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Tue Apr 28 07:41:34 CEST 2009

On approximately 4/27/2009 8:39 PM, came the following characters from
the keyboard of Martin v. Löwis:
>> I'm not suggesting the PEP should solve the problem of mounting foreign
>> file systems, although if it doesn't it should probably point that out.
>> I'm just suggesting that if the people that write software to solve the
>> problem of mounting foreign file systems have already solved the naming
>> problem, then it might be a source of a good solution.  On the other
>> hand, it might be the source of a mediocre or bad solution.  However, if
>> those mounting system have good solutions, it would be good to be
>> compatible with them, rather than have yet another solution.  It was in
>> that sense, of thinking about possibly existing practice, and leveraging
>> an existing solution, that caused me to bring up the topic.
>>

> I think you make quite a lot of assumptions here. It would be better
> to research the state of the art first, and only then propose to follow it.

I didn't propose to follow it.  I only proposed an area that could be
researched as a source of ideas and/or potential solutions.  Apparently
there wasn't, but there could have been someone listening that had the
results of such research on the tip of their tongue, and might have
piped up with the techniques used.  I did, in fact, begin researching
the topic after making the suggestion, and thus far haven't found any
brilliant solutions from that arena.

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/