[Python-Dev] Google Summer of Code/core Python projects - RFC

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Sat Apr 11 20:21:14 CEST 2009

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 08:13:35AM +0200, "Martin v. L?wis" wrote:
-> > 2x "keyring package" -- see
-> > http://tarekziade.wordpress.com/2009/03/27/pycon-hallway-session-1-a-keyring-library-for-python/.
-> > The poorer one of these will probably be axed unless Tarek gives it
-> > strong support.
->
-> I don't think these are good "core" projects. Even if the students come
-> up with a complete solution, it shouldn't be integrated with the
-> standard library right away. Instead, it should have a life outside the
-> standard library, and be considered for inclusion only if the user
-> community wants it.

Tarek has said he can put it into distutils on a trial basis, although
I'm sure that'll depend on what the student comes up with.

I'm using "core projects" as a shorthand for projects that directly
address the core development environment, the stdlib, and priorities of
committers on python-dev.  Tarek is a committer, and it sounded like
you, Jim, and Georg were all interested in this project, too -- that
pushes it well into "core" territory IMO.

-> I'm also skeptical that this is a good SoC project in the first place.
-> Coming up with a wrapper for, say, Apple Keychain, could be a good
-> project. Coming up with a unifying API for all keychains is out of
-> scope, IMO; various past attempts at unifying APIs have demonstrated
-> that creating them is difficult, and might require writing a PEP
-> (whose acceptance then might not happen within a summer).

Well, that's a more unassailable argument and one I agree with ;).

cheers,
--titus
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu