[Python-Dev] [Email-SIG] the email module, text, and bytes (was Re: Dropping bytes "support" in json)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Apr 11 04:11:44 CEST 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On Apr 10, 2009, at 3:06 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
>> Bill Janssen writes:

>>> Yep.
>>
>> Uh, I hate to rain on a parade, but isn't that how we arrived at the
>> *current* email package?
>
> Not really.  We got here because <ahem>we</ahem> were too damn sloppy about
> the distinction.

Agreed. I take full responsibility -- the str/unicode approach we
introduced in 2.0 seemed like the best thing we could do at the time,
but in retrospect it would've been better if we'd left str alone and
introduced a unicode type that was truly distinct -- like str in 3.0.
The email package is not the only system that ended up with a muddled
distinction between the two as a result.