[Python-Dev] Dropping bytes "support" in json

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat Apr 11 02:51:29 CEST 2009

Paul Moore wrote:

> 3.  Encoding
>
>    JSON text SHALL be encoded in Unicode.  The default encoding is
>    UTF-8.
>
> This is at best confused (in my utterly non-expert opinion :-)) as
> Unicode isn't an encoding...

I'm inclined to agree. I'd go further and say that if JSON
is really mean to be a text format, the standard has no
business mentioning encodings at all.

The reason you use a text format in the first place is that
you have some way of transmitting text, and you want to
send something that isn't text. In that situation, the
encoding is already determined by whatever means you're
using to send the text.

--
Greg