[Python-Dev] Adding new features to Python 2.x (PEP 382: Namespace Packages)

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Apr 7 14:25:08 CEST 2009

On 2009-04-06 15:21, Jesse Noller wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 4:33 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>> On 2009-04-02 17:32, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>>> I propose the following PEP for inclusion to Python 3.1.
>> Thanks for picking this up.
>>
>> I'd like to extend the proposal to Python 2.7 and later.
>>

> -1 to adding it to the 2.x series. There was much discussion around
> adding features to 2.x *and* 3.0, and the consensus seemed to *not*
> add new features to 2.x and use those new features as carrots to help
> lead people into 3.0.

I must have missed that discussion :-)

Where's the PEP pinning this down ?

The Python 2.x user base is huge and the number of installed
applications even larger.

Cutting these users and application developers off of important new
features added to Python 3 is only going to work as "carrot" for
those developers who:

 * have enough resources (time, money, manpower) to port their existing
   application to Python 3

 * can persuade their users to switch to Python 3

 * don't rely much on 3rd party libraries (the bread and butter
   of Python applications)

Realistically, such a porting effort is not likely going to happen
for any decent sized application, except perhaps a few open source
ones.

Such a policy would then translate to a dead end for Python 2.x
based applications.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Apr 07 2009)
2009-03-19: Released mxODBC.Connect 1.0.1      http://python.egenix.com/

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/