[Python-Dev] Mercurial?

Dirkjan Ochtman dirkjan at ochtman.nl
Sun Apr 5 12:51:30 CEST 2009

On 05/04/2009 12:27, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> There's also the issue of how we adapt the current workflow of "svnmerging"
> between branches when we want to back- or forward-port stuff. In particular,
> tracking of already done or blocked backports.

Right. The canonical way to do that with Mercurial is to commit patches
against the "oldest" branch where they should be applied, so that every
stable branch is a strict subset of every less stable branch.

 From what I've understood, this doesn't fit the way the Python-dev
community/process works very well. In that case, there are a number of
alternatives. For example, hg's export/import commands can be used to
explicitly deal with diffs that contain hg metadata, the transplant
extension can be used to automate that, or in some cases, the rebase
extension might be more appropriate. We can put extended examples from
the PEP in the wiki to help people discovering the best workflow.

Cheers,

Dirkjan