[Python-Dev] PyDict_SetItem hook

John Ehresman jpe at wingware.com
Thu Apr 2 01:29:20 CEST 2009

I've written a proof of concept patch to add a hook to PyDict_SetItem at
  http://bugs.python.org/issue5654  My motivation is to enable
watchpoints in a python debugger that are called when an attribute or
global changes.  I know that this won't cover function locals and
objects with slots (as Martin pointed out).

We talked about this at the sprints and a few issues came up:

* Is this worth it for debugger watchpoint support?  This is a feature
that probably wouldn't be used regularly but is extremely useful in some
situations.

* Would it be better to create a namespace dict subclass of dict, use it
for modules, classes, & instances, and only allow watches of the
subclass instances?

* To what extent should non-debugger code use the hook?  At one end of
the spectrum, the hook could be made readily available for non-debug use
and at the other end, it could be documented as being debug only,
disabled in python -O, & not exposed in the stdlib to python code.

John