[Python-Dev] And the winner is...

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Apr 1 01:50:40 CEST 2009

Mike Coleman wrote:

> I mentioned this once on the git list and Linus' response was
> something like "C lets me see exactly what's going on".  I'm not
> unsympathetic to this point of view--I'm really growing to loathe C++
> partly because it *doesn't* let me see exactly what's going on--but
> I'm not convinced, either.

I think Python lets you see exactly what's going on
too, at the level of abstraction you're working with.

The problem with C++ is that it indiscriminately mixes
up wildly different levels of abstraction, so that it's
hard to look at a piece of code and decide whether it's
doing something high-level or low-level.

Python takes a uniformly high-level view of everything,
which is fine for the vast majority of application
programming, I think -- VCSes included.

--
Greg