[Python-Dev] 2.6 rc1 performance results

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 17:45:51 CEST 2008

A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> Antoine, your Recursion results were actually about the same (+2.2%)
> from 2.5 to 2.6, so this big slowdown is novel.  I wonder if these
> tests are simply slower on MacOS for some reason (compiler, CPU cache
> size, etc.).  Does anyone see similar results?  Any idea what might
> have made DictForStringKeys and Recursion slow down?

The change to universal binaries, perhaps? Your results showed quite a
few slowdowns in number related code, while my local testing shows
primarily speed increases in those areas.

That said, I'm seeing big enough swings in the percentages between runs
that I'd like to get some tips on how to smooth out the variations -
e.g. will increasing the warp factor increasing the amount of time each
individual run takes?

Although on a Mac OS X specific front... could the conversion to
universal binaries have made a difference? Do you get the same
performance numbers for a local build as you do for the version from the
installer?

Cheers,
Nick.