[Python-Dev] My patches

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at haypocalc.com
Fri Oct 31 01:27:35 CET 2008

Le Friday 31 October 2008 00:34:32 Paul Moore, vous avez écrit :
> Agreed. I was thinking vaguely in terms of a type of voting - rather
> than a status or resolution, it might be more like the nosy list - a
> list of people who have said they think the patch is OK. The more
> people on the list, the stronger the assurance that it's acceptable.
> It is still a matter of trust, of course - nothing can avoid that.

I like this idea. But there are different things to review. Examples:
 - the bug report: is the bug reproductible? is the bug isolated?
 - a patch: the patch works? the patch looks correct? or invalid coding style,
introduce a regression, or anything else

> I was thinking in terms of summary reports (...)

I think that you need an new information: the issue progress, eg.
 - initial state: 0% => need more information
 - bug isolated: 25% => need a patch
 - patch present: 50% => patch needs reviewers
 - patch reviewed: 75% => patch just have to be applied
 - issue closed: 100% (done)

Beginners can search for progress < 25%. They can try to reproduce a problem
to check the Python version, the OS, etc. Or just help to give more
informations about the issue.

Core developers just have to check for progress >= 75%.

> Fair point. My gut feeling is that more people would be interested if
> we had ways of presenting the list of issues in better ways than the
> current monolithic list. (...)

Why not using icons (at least on the HTML view)? It helps to see quickly many
informations and generates smaller reports. We can have an icon for each
keyword.

--
Victor Stinner aka haypo
http://www.haypocalc.com/blog/