[Python-Dev] My patches

David Stanek dstanek at dstanek.com
Fri Oct 31 01:13:14 CET 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:

> What about having two level of devs ?
>
> + core developers
> + standard library developers

I was also thinking about two levels of developers,  but structured a
little differently. We have the same core developers with permission
to commit anywhere in the repo. Then we have a set of sub-core (or
whatever) that only have permission to commit to experimental
branches.

These experimental branches would be the testing place for some
patches. Once a patch has had enough exposure in the experimental
branch and has been verified by several people the core team could
merge it into the main development branch. A set of buildbot slaves
can also check that branch on a variety of systems and architectures.

The structure could then look like:
  * trunk - the mainline of development
  * branches/release##maint - for each version
  * branches/experimental## - for the sub-core devs

This may start to be a bit messy if the experimental branch diverges
too much from trunk. trunk would also have to be periodically merged
into the experimental branches. Even so I think it could still be
manageable. And if not the no harm/no foul the experimental branches
could be abandoned and little core developer time would be wasted.

--
David
http://www.traceback.org