[Python-Dev] My patches

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Oct 30 19:38:08 CET 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 05:50, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> On Oct 30, 2008, at 01:02 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:
[SNIP]
>>If Python would be more reactive, more developer will be attracted. The
>>communication is very important in an open source project. I contributed to
>>many many projects, and I can say that Python is already one of the most
>>reactive project! But it can be better ;-)
>
> I agree!  How can we improve our development process, given that we're an all
> volunteer organization?

And this is a key point that people seem to forget. Guido is the ONLY
developer who gets paid to work on Python, and that is only 50% of his
time (when he doesn't have a Google-related workload), and honestly I
would rather he not deal with patches that do not affect what he is
working on.

The rest of us spend our evenings and weekends on this on top of
trying to balance a normal life. In my case I had to stop my Python
work recently because I have been working on my Ph.D. thesis proposal.
Everyone has their lives that take priority.

And no, I do not think that giving out more commit privileges will
necessarily solve everything. Python is known for its quality and part
of that reason is we are careful about handing out privileges. This is
not to say we can't try to help move people along towards getting
privileges faster, but I am not interested in doing what Pugs does and
give everyone who has submitted a patch commit privs.

-Brett