[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] 2.6.1 and 3.0

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Nov 27 00:29:42 CET 2008

> So, deducing from your reply, this "merge module" is a thing that allows
> to install the CRT (and other shared components)?

Correct. More generally, a merge module is a something like an MSI
library (.a). It includes a set of files and snippets of an installation
procedure for them.

> Another option is to contact the Advanced Installer vendor and ask for a
> free license for the Python Software Foundation. This would mean that
> everybody in the world would still be able to build an installer without
> CRT, and only PSF would build the official one with CRT bundled. I
> personally don't see this as a show-stopper (does anyone ever build
> the .msi besides Martin?).

I personally don't have any interest to spend any time on an alternative
technology. The current technology works fine for me, and I understand
it fully. Everybody in the world is able to build an installer today,
also. However, I won't stop anybody else from working a switch to a
different technology, either.

Regards,
Martin