[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] 2.6.1 and 3.0

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Nov 26 21:39:27 CET 2008

> What is the rationale behind using an MSI ?  Has anyone attempted to
> create a Python installer using something a bit simpler, like NSIS
> [http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page]?  If not, what are the reasons?

It's a lot of effort to look at any such tool (and I really mean a *lot*
of effort - like a full week). That's why nobody did it.

When I looked at MSI, I did it because it has a few unique features:
- it supports 64-bit installers, which now is an absolute requirement
  (people really do want to use the AMD64 binaries)
  a shallow look at the feature list of NSIS suggest that NSIS would
  fail this requirement.
- it supports installation through Windows Domain policy. I would be
  willing to drop this requirement, but I believe some users would not
  be happy. Nothing but MSI has this capability (by design of Windows
  Active Directory).

Regards,
Martin