[Python-Dev] Looking for VCS usage scenarios

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 12:09:24 CET 2008

2008/11/3 Brett Cannon <brett at python.org>:
> At this point I am looking for any suggestions for fundamental usage
> scenarios that I am missing from the PEP. If you think the few already
> listed are missing some core part of a VCS, please let me know.

My apologies, I can't check if this is already there (firewall rules
from this account :-() but can I suggest the following use case:

An average user (ie, not a core developer) finds an issue, and has an
idea how to fix it. He raises a tracker item, checks out the Python
sources, makes a fix, and wants to upload it to the tracker. Key
points here are the initial work needed to grab a development
checkout, and the ability to bundle up a fix for upload to the
tracker. (I'm specifically thinking of a casual user, not a developer
who already has a Python checkout to work on).

I'll freely admit a (not very) hidden bias here - the slowness of an
initial clone (or going through the "download a shared repo, unpack
it, create a branch and update" rigmarole) makes this a nasty test for
Bazaar. But I do nevertheless think it's an important use case, as
it's all about encouraging casual users to contribute.

Paul.