[Python-Dev] Fwd: Removal of GIL through refcounting removal.

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Nov 2 23:33:11 CET 2008

Eric Smith wrote:

> I'd gladly trade deterministic destruction (due to reference counting or
> any other mechanism) for improved performance.

Another thing to consider is that refcounting spreads out the
time spent doing GC evenly over the execution of the program,
so that you don't get pauses occurring at random times.

Sometimes in games I've found that I had to disable cyclic
GC in order to get smooth frame rates. With no refcounting
I wouldn't have the option of doing that. I'd be disappointed
if that meant I could no longer use Python for these kinds of
games.

--
Greg