[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Stabilizing the C API of 2.6 and 3.0

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed May 28 14:29:32 CEST 2008

On 28/05/2008, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> I'm beginning to wonder whether I'm the only one who cares about
> the Python 2.x branch not getting cluttered up with artifacts caused
> by a broken forward merge strategy.

I care, but I struggle to understand the implications and/or what is
being proposed in many cases.

Recent examples are the ABC backports and the current thread (string C
API). I simply don't follow the issues well enough to comment.

> How can it be that we allow major C API changes such as the renaming
> of the PyString APIs to go into the trunk without discussion or
> a PEP ?

Christian has raised this a couple of times, but there has been little
discussion. I suspect that this is because there is not enough clarity
over the practical consequences. A PEP may help here, but I'm not sure
how much - it could spark discussion, but would anyone actually end up
any better informed?

> We're having lengthy discussions about the addition of single method
> to an object, but such major changes just go in like that and nobody
> seems to really care.

I suspect deadline pressure and burnout are involved here.

In all honesty, there's been little or no work done on the C API,
which is just as much in need of review and possible cleanup for 3.0
as the language. It's as close as makes no difference to too late now
- does that mean we've lost the chance?

Paul.