[Python-Dev] Addition of "pyprocessing" module to standard lib.

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Wed May 21 21:29:37 CEST 2008

Thomas Heller schrieb:
> A.M. Kuchling schrieb:
> > On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 08:50:39PM +0200, Thomas Heller wrote:
> >> Myself I would rather spend my energy to make ctypes more portable, within my
> >> skills and the platforms I have access to.
> >
> > Someone could run Solaris x86 inside a hosted virtual machine and make
> > it available to the Python developers.  Is it possible to find similar
> > hosting for HP-UX and AIX?  Or might IBM or HP be willing to donate a
> > low-end machine to the PSF for porting use?
>
> I have a vmware appliance installed that runs "solaris 10 update 2",
> gcc and the sun compiler are installed.  As expected (?), ctypes works
> fine when compiled with gcc, but fails to build with the siun compiler.
>
> There is also a solaris buildbot running on a sparc machine.

I just downloaded the Python 2.5.2 source tar, and tried to build it
on a Solaris 11 machine with the SunPro 8 compiler (Sun CC 5.5), and
failed:

% ./configure
[...]
creating Modules/Setup
creating Modules/Setup.local
creating Makefile
% make
cc -c  -DNDEBUG -O  -I. -IInclude -I./Include  -DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Modules/python.o ./Modules/python.c
"/usr/include/sys/feature_tests.h", line 353: #error: "Compiler or options invalid for pre-UNIX 03 X/Open applications 	and pre-2001 POSIX applications"
cc: acomp failed for ./Modules/python.c
*** Error code 2
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `Modules/python.o'
%

So maybe Python just doesn't run on Solaris with the Sun C compiler.
Certainly doesn't build out of the box.

Bill