[Python-Dev] How best to handle the docs for a renamed module?

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Sat May 17 00:42:02 CEST 2008

[Brett[
>>> For the sake of argument, let's consider the Queue module. It is now
>>> named queue. For 2.6 I plan on having both Queue and queue listed in
>>> the index, with Queue deprecated with instructions to use the new
>>> name.

FWIW, I don't consider this to be a value added backport.
Renaming doesn't benefit a 2.6 user.  All it does is add confusion
and it may break code where users or third-party libraries are
already using the new name.

I say leave the new names in 3.0 and let the 2-to-3 tool do its job.
Why confuse the 2.6 landscape with double naming clutter.

Raymond