[Python-Dev] Tool for converting %-formatting to .format()ing ?

Rodrigo Bernardo Pimentel rbp at isnomore.net
Fri May 9 16:02:58 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 09 2008 at 10:29:17AM BRT, skip at pobox.com wrote:

>     mal> Is there a tool available that can convert 2.x code automagically
>     mal> to the .format() method syntax ?
>
>     mal> Just did a quick grep of our code base and it has some 2000 lines
>     mal> of code that would need to be changed.
>
> I suggested a 2to3 fixer for this but was shot down.

I had mentioned it during the thread where it was shot down, but I have a
Google Summer of Code project (now approved and in motion - huzza!) to add
confidence ranking for 2to3 fixers. As a test for the project, I'll write a
fixer for string conversion and see if having a confidence value is enough
to make such a fixer useful.

        rbp
--
Rodrigo Bernardo Pimentel <rbp at isnomore.net> | GPG: <0x0DB14978>