[Python-Dev] Reminder: last alphas next Wednesday 07-May-2008

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri May 2 15:19:41 CEST 2008

Phil Thompson wrote:
> On Friday 02 May 2008, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:
>>> I'm +1 on just using $HOME/.local, but otherwise $HOME/.python makes
>>> sense too. $HOME/.python.d doesn't do it for me, too clunky (and hardly
>>> used if I look at my .files in $HOME).
>>>
>>> But I agree with Steve that it should be a hidden directory.
>> This sums up my opinion pretty well. Hidden by default, but easy to
>> expose (e.g. via a local -> .local symlink) for the more experienced
>> users that want it more easily accessible.
>
> But you can't be serious about using such a generic word as "local" as the
> name??? At least include the letters "p" and "y" somewhere.

As glyph noted, the idea is that the layout inside ~/.local would be
modeled on that used inside /usr/local.

A lot of that was thrashed out during the original PEP 370 discussions
though - the current discussion relates purely to what would be visible
to the user at the home directory level, so the internal layout of the
.local directory hadn't really come up.

Cheers,
Nick.