[Python-Dev] How we can get rid of eggs for 2.6 and beyond

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Mar 22 21:13:24 CET 2008

>>> Oh, and application installation is (should be) completely different.
>>  > On Windows, applications should probably be bundled with their own
>>  > Python interpreter, a la py2exe. On Unix/Linux, I don't know what the
>>  > standard is, so I'd have to defer to others.
>>

>> This I disagree with. I think it's an overall bad thing to have all
>>  kinds of applications ship their own copy of Python; see also Aza
>>  Raskin's PyCon keynote.
>
> Is this on Windows? It's fairly common practice.

Unfortunately so, yes. This can be viewed a burden to the adoption
of Python: for a small application, you get this huge download to
bundle.

> Can you give me a
> pointer to Aza Raskin's keynote? Is it online anywhere? I'd be
> interested in his point of view.

Unfortunately no. I was looking for it, but couldn't find it. He
mentioned a website with a "call for action", but I couldn't find
that, either :-(

Regards,
Martin