[Python-Dev] PEP 365 (Adding the pkg_resources module)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Mar 21 20:16:45 CET 2008

"Phillip J. Eby" <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote in message
news:20080321124944.ABDF03A4074 at sparrow.telecommunity.com...

To Paul's question: I have only installed a couple of things (and not
recently) that added their own add/remove entry.  But I am not sure I would
have called them  add-ons as opposed to independent applications written in
Python.

| I presume he means that there are a lot of entries in his Add/Remove
| Programs that work like that, and that it's an emerging standard for
| Windows.  (Certainly I've seen quite a few entries like that in mine,
| although more often than not they only have one checkbox!)

Yes.  At least half my experience with uninstalls is removing games.
Recent games typically have separate boxes for various things such as games
files, save files, mods, game directory and any user added content, and
icons and registry entries.

Most Python add-ons I have downloaded are unziped to site-packages and only
a few megabytes in size (versus gigabytes for some games).  Hence there is
little need to uninstall them (unless dumping everything connected with
pyx.y, which is easy).  Hence no desire to have add/remove slowed down and
cluttered with dozens of entries for such things.

I admit that my wish for a better installation manager is something I can
only help with on the surface by expressing desires and testing results as
a practice user.

tjr