[Python-Dev] The "autoinstall" package just uploaded to PyPI

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Mar 20 17:03:55 CET 2008

I just wanted to throw in a quick note that this package:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/autoinstall

which was just uploaded by Daniel Krech, is a lot closer in spirit to
what I was trying to accomplish with PEP 365 than Guido's bootstrap
proposal.  Perhaps there's room for both in the stdlib?  (And note
that even though the examples use eggs, it does not do anything
egg-specific; any zipfile importable by Python works with autoinstall.)

There are a number of changes I would suggest making to autoinstall,
like making it possible to access information about files in the
cache, supporting non-toplevel modules, programmatic and
environment-level control of the cache directory, that sort of
thing.  Heck, it'd be nice (although not essential) for it to support
finding the right URL from PyPI.

I also suspect that users might want to have some way to disable it
or restrict it to certain hosts, etc., perhaps through a
configuration file.  It should probably also default the cache to a
temporary directory, in the absence of other input.

(Experience with pkg_resources' caching approach suggests that using
the current directory or a home-directory-based location by default
was a bad idea, at least without a fallback to a tempdir on write failure.)

Any thoughts?