[Python-Dev] how to build extensions for Windows?

Trent Nelson tnelson at onresolve.com
Thu Mar 20 01:23:14 CET 2008

Having recently sunk a lot of time into the Windows build process, I'd recommend going with Visual C++ Express 2008 rather than MinGW, as this is the official compiler for 2.6/3.0.  (You can download a free copy.)

FWIW, I've probably been working on the Windows build side of things on and off for the past month or so, and we've only just reached a point where 32bit and 64bit Windows builds are compiling with all extension modules (bsddb, tcl/tk, ssl etc) and passing all tests (most work has gone into the x64 builds though, the 32-bit ones were already green on XP and below for 32bit).  Using MinGW/gcc on Windows hasn't seen anywhere near so much attention, so, YMWV.

In terms of my Windows-oriented priorities, they are as follows:
 - Get 3.0 32/64 Windows builds actually compiling successfully and then passing all tests (given that all build slaves for 3.0 are red that's not exactly a quick action).
 - Move on to the MSI installer improvements for 2.6/3.0, specifically with regards to the VCRT9 runtime and signing of the installer/binaries.
 - Maybe putting some cycles into Python builds on MinGW.  To be honest though, the main motivation for doing that will be to demonstrate that a Python executable compiled with Visual Studio 2008 Professional with Profile Guided Optimisation will outperform a MinGW/gcc build ;-)

    Trent.