[Python-Dev] Installing Python 2.6 alpha1 on Windows XP

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Mar 18 15:23:53 CET 2008

> That shouldn't be hard - I'll set up a Windows virtual machine with no
> additional software on it and can use that for testing. If you want me
> to try anything out, let me know and I can do so in a guaranteed clean
> environment.

That should be a reasonable setup. Try moving the manifest files and the
copies of the CRT around, in the 2.6 installer which (reportedly)
doesn't work; you should try to reproduce the error Gregor had first.

Don't use the "all users" install, but the per-user one; for the
all-users case, I need to add proper SxS support, installing into
the assembly cache, which currently isn't implemented.

Then, when it does work, try to figure out how to eliminate the
extra copy of the CRT. Perhaps the manifest needs to be tweaked?

Regards,
Martin