[Python-Dev] PEP 365 (Adding the pkg_resources module)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Mar 17 16:53:21 CET 2008

I don't think this should play games with scripts being overridden or
whatever. If a bootstrap script is to be installed it should have a
separate name. I'm not sure what the advantage is of a bootstrap
script over "python -m bootstrap_module ..." though.

The PEP suggests that other package managers also benefit. How do they
benefit if the bootstrap script installs setuptools? That sounds like
the bootstrap script would make setuptools the de-facto standard,
which I'd like to avoid given the politics around this topic.

I'd also like to avoid the specific name "easy_install" for any of
this. That's a "brand name" (and a misleading one if you ask me, but
that's politics again :-).

--Guido