[Python-Dev] 3.0 buildbots all red

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 18:32:33 CET 2008

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 12:07 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>  >> Thursday.  Anyone interested?
>  >>
>  >> I think the chance to achieve that is close to zero.
>  >
>  > Sounds like a challenge if ever I've heard one -- care to wager a
>  > beer on it?  (Only applies to buildbots that are connected/online.)
>
>  Even with that restriction: I'll happily buy you a beer if you
>  manage to get all the online ones pass all tests consistently.

I think this is possible, though considerable work.  Probably the
biggest win will be creating a mock for socket and using mock sockets
in the tests for asyn{core,chat}, smtplib, xmlrpc, etc. That will fix
about 75% of the problems on 2.6.  The remaining problems are:

 * test_asyn{chat,core} might not be meaningful with mock sockets and are flaky
 * the alpha fails test_signal/socket for weird alarm conditions.
this might be hard to debug/fix (I have access to this box though)
 * test_sqlite is broken on x86 with an old sqlite (I have access to this box)
 * test_bsddb may be flaky, I'm not sure
 * probably a few platform specific problems

3.0 will get most of the improvements as the fixes are ported.  3.0
has a different problem on the x86 box dealing with signals.  There
are probably some other 3.0 specific problems. Although, using a mock
socket could address this too.  I can help on fixing these issues
during the sprints.  It will be happy to work with Trent to try to fix
the problems.  I'm sure we can greatly improve the situation.