[Python-Dev] [Python-ideas] new super redux (better late than never?)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 15:03:41 CET 2008

Facundo Batista wrote:
> 2008/3/5, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org>:
>
> (Bringing this from python-ideas, Guido is talking about PEP 3135)
>
>> Ehhh! The PEP's "reference implementation" is useless and probably
>>  doesn't even work. The actual implementation is completely different.
>>  If you want to help, a rewrite of the PEP to match reality would be
>>  most welcome!
>
> Guido, I know that in this fight-for-reality some of the PEPs for Py3
> are not correct.
>
> Which is the plan to handle this? Will the original authors fix them?
> And if not, will these PEP be marked as "Caution: non compliant with
> reality" or something?
>
> PEPs are a great tool, one of the Python assets, and it's a pity that
> we may not trust them...

Some PEPs (252/253 come to mind) already carry such warnings. The
wording in those two PEPs suggests that this warning was added by the
PEP editors after the fact:

[Editor's note: the ideas described in this PEP have been incorporated
   into Python.  The PEP no longer accurately describes the implementation.]

In other cases we have gone back and fixed the PEP to match the
implementation (e.g. PEP 343 was updated to reflect changes that
happened prior to 2.5 release).

Cheers,
Nick.