[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Betas today - I hope

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 20:11:14 CEST 2008

On 6/12/08, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> documentation patch for the language reference ...
> following categories:

>  2. Method lookup MAY bypass __getattribute__, shadowing the attribute in
> the instance dictionary MAY have ill effects. (slots such as __enter__ and
> __exit__ that are looked up via normal attribute lookup in CPython will fit
> into this category)

Should this category really be enumerated?

I thought that was the default meaning of __name__, so the real
clarification is:

(1)  Requiring that the specific names in category 1 MUST be treated this way.

(2)  Mentioning __*__ and listing any known exceptions.  (Can "next"
be treated this way despite the lack of __*__?  Is it forbidden to
treat __context__ this way?)

-jJ