[Python-Dev] PEP 371 Discussion (pyProcessing Module)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 11:12:17 CEST 2008

skip at pobox.com wrote:
>     Nick> We fixed the module names that used mixed case - the amount of
>     Nick> work that turned out to be involved in just doing that much for
>     Nick> PEP 3108 makes me shudder at the thought of trying to fix all of
>     Nick> the standard library APIs that currently don't follow the style
>     Nick> guide...
>
> If the 3.0 API of a module is going to involve breakage which requires
> authors to update their applications wouldn't this be a good time to
> PEP-8-ify the module?  (Not suggesting that threading would fall into this
> category.)

Updating application code to deal with a module name change is easy -
just use an "import x as y" statement. Catching the ImportError for the
3.0 name and falling back to the 2.6 name (or vice-versa) even makes it
possible to support both names fairly easily.

Changing the names of actual objects within the modules is tougher
though - there are many more ways to access those.

Cheers,
Nick