[Python-Dev] urllib.quote and unquote - Unicode issues

Jeff Hall hall.jeff at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 18:33:47 CEST 2008

> quote_from_bytes = quote
>>

> So either name can be used on either input type, with the idea being that
> you should use quote on a str, and quote_from_bytes on a bytes. Is this a
> good idea or should it be rewritten so each function permits only one input
> type?

so you can use quote_from_bytes on strings? I assumed Guido meant it was
okay to have quote accept string/byte input and have a function that was
redundant but limited in what it accepted (i.e. quote_from_bytes accepts
only bytes)

I suppose your implementation doesn't break anything... it just strikes me
as "odd"