[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] No beta2 tonight

Josiah Carlson josiah.carlson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 17:43:28 CEST 2008

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 7:54 AM, Josiah Carlson
<josiah.carlson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 7:43 PM, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
>> Josiah Carlson wrote:
>>>
>>> It's entirely possible that I know very little about what was being
>>> made available via the bsddb module, but to match the API of what is
>>> included in the documentation (plus the dictionary interface that it
>>> supports) shouldn't be terribly difficult.
>>
>> Maybe for new databases, but what about people with
>> existing bsddb files that they need to read?
>
> Classic data transition issue.  Dump the data with the old software,
> reload the data with the new software.  Both bsddb and sqlite are
> pretty fast, the latter of which has nice bulk inserts, after-the-fact
> index creation, ..., which can reduce the time it takes to do the
> transition.

After discussing with Guido off-list about how some companies have
come to rely on deep features in bsddb, concerns that these companies
wouldn't be able to transition away from bsddb, plus Jesus' picking up
the code for 3.0 maintenance, I'm taking the offer to write a wrapper
for sqlite off the table.  Not because I don't think it could be done,
but because no one seems to want what I'm offering (a 95% solution
that doesn't require weeks/months of maintenance every release).

 - Josiah