[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r65099 - python/trunk/Doc/library/string.rst

Eric Smith eric+python-dev at trueblade.com
Fri Jul 18 19:10:28 CEST 2008

georg.brandl wrote:
> Author: georg.brandl
> Date: Fri Jul 18 13:15:06 2008
> New Revision: 65099
>
> Log:
> Document the different meaning of precision for {:f} and {:g}.
> Also document how inf and nan are formatted. #3404.

Thanks for doing this.  But see this output:
http://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/all/sparc%20solaris10%20gcc%20trunk/builds/255/step-test/0
which shows that on Solaris with gcc it's 'NaN', not 'nan'.  This is one
of the reasons I didn't get into documenting it.  And on Windows, it's
even worse (no Windows box handy, sorry).

Do we want to document the actual behavior, or do we want to normalize
all platforms so that they all return 'nan' and 'inf'?

I'm still hoping to fix "F" formatting (issue 3382) on Windows, assuming
that it's acceptable to do that before the last beta.  It mostly comes
down to deleting the tests, since I can't match on 'nan' and 'inf'.
There is some additional work mapping 'F' to 'f', and then uppercasing
the result, but that part is easy.

Eric.