[Python-Dev] No beta2 tonight

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Fri Jul 18 04:30:38 CEST 2008

On Jul 17, 2008, at 7:27 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> bsddb is in a very bad shape, as the 2.6 code hasn't been merged into
> 3k. I somewhat doubt that this gets resolved before the release, so
> bsddb users might need to skip 3.0.

In fact, bsddb as packages in core Python has rarely been in good shape.

Has anyone actually considered that bsddb might do better if
maintained strictly as an external package?  That would make it easier
for the any maintainers to release updates, and removes a source of
frustration for users who either don't need it or would rather wait
for a happier version.

I think this is worth considering.  I vaguely recall that the bsddb
module was maintained before it was incorporated into the core Python
release.

   -Fred

--
Fred Drake   <fdrake at acm.org>