[Python-Dev] Unittest PEP do's and don'ts (BDFL pronouncement)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jul 17 03:28:17 CEST 2008

Andrew Bennetts <andrew-pythondev at puzzling.org> writes:

> Ben Finney wrote:
> > Andrew Bennetts <andrew-pythondev at puzzling.org> writes:
> >
> > > This one is easily solved by making assertRaises return the
> > > exception it caught.
> >
> > That breaks one simple feature of the unittest API: that all the
> > test methods will either raise a failure asertion, or return None.
>
> How is returning None a feature?

A test method having exactly one meaning is a feature. If it's
consistent across the API, the API retains a level of simplicity.

> I've never seen code that somehow depends on assertRaises returning
> None.

I hope never to see code depending on methods named "assert*"
returning something, instead of *only* asserting a condition.

> Further, I have lots of evidence that in practice returning the
> exception instance from assertRaises is not a problem, and is in
> fact quite useful.

I'm sure it's useful. I don't think it belongs in the return value of
such a method.

> I'd quote “Practicality beats purity”, but I'm not even sure if it
> is purity that you have in mind.

Close: I'm interested in keeping camel's noses out of tents.

--
 \           “Laugh and the world laughs with you; snore and you sleep |
  `\                                                alone.” —anonymous |