[Python-Dev] PEP: per user site-packages directory

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Jan 21 15:48:41 CET 2008

Christian Heimes wrote:
> Steve Holden wrote:
>> Maybe once we get easy_install as a part of the core (so there's no need
>> to find and run ez_setup.py to start with) things will start to improve.
>> This is an issue the whole developer community needs to take seriously
>> if we are interested in increasing take-up.
>
> setuptools and easy_install won't be included in Python 2.6 and 3.0:
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0365/

Yes, and yet another release (two releases) will go out without easy
access to the functionality in Pypi. PEP 365 is a good start, but Pypi
loses much of its point until new Python users get access to it "out of
the box". I also appreciate that resource limitations are standing in
the way of setuptools' inclusion (is there something I can do about
that?) Just to hammer the point home, however ...

The easy_install utility from setuptools is probably the biggest
potential recruiter for Python. It makes the language accessible to the
majority of users who are interested only in acquiring new
functionality, and not at all in which language that functionality is
implemented in. Installation of the latest/most appropriate version of
something then becomes a simple recipe without command switches

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119