[Python-Dev] Buildbots for trunk are all red

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Wed Feb 27 15:13:22 CET 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 09:46:04PM -0800, Gregory P. Smith wrote:
> My opinion on bsddb as a standard library module is based mostly on "its
> always been there" and a vague memory of the last time this came up I
> thought people piped up saying they liked batteries being included,
> including bsddb and sqlite, but I don't have a handy reference to that email
> thread.

Looking at the July 2000 python-dev archive, it was added in the
lead-up for Python 2.0 because the bsddb185 module was becoming
increasingly difficult to support; fewer and fewer platforms were
including it, I think.  So we included the BerkeleyDB wrapper which
was backward-compatible and provided much lower-level access.  I think
BerkeleyDB was also the only stdlib database that included
transactional features until sqlite was included.  It's disappointing
that the API has gotten so complicated and that a few releases have
been broken.

Doing a code search finds a fair number of users of the module: Zope's
BDBStorage, Mailman 2.x's archiver, 4Suite, PyTone, OuterSpace,
Chandler, BioPython.

--amk