[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Python 2.6 and 3.0

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Feb 26 21:35:10 CET 2008

> What do you think?

Feel free to try it out. I'm skeptical that it will be a better overall
solution than the current one - the main difference would be that,
rather than me being the only one who can realistically change the
packaging chain, it would be you who is the only one - which, in
principle, would be fine with me.

I believe you need deep inside knowledge of the MSI database format
for WiX, just as you do for using the automation API. I think I could
learn WiX fairly quickly after all these years of learning MSI in the
first place. I think the WiX designers did right in tying WiX so close
to the MSI data model, but it means that WiX makes package creation not
simpler - merely more productive for the experienced user (who I
hesitate to call WiXers :-)

In any case, when you work with WiX, I'm sure you'll gain a lot of
expert knowledge on Windows packaging. Depending on your job situation,
that might pay some day :-)

Regards,
Martin