[Python-Dev] Allocation of shape and strides fields in Py_buffer

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Dec 9 23:31:48 CET 2008

Nick Coghlan wrote:
> Maintaining a PyDict instance to map from view pointers to shapes
> and strides info doesn't strike me as a "complex scheme" though.

I don't see why a given buffer provider should ever need
more than one set of shape/strides arrays at a time. It
can allocate them on creation, reallocate them as needed
if the shape of its internal data changes, and deallocate
them when it goes away.

If you are creating view objects that present slices or
some other alternative perspective, then the view object
itself is a buffer provider and should maintain shape/stride
arrays for its particular view of the underlying object.

--
Greg