[Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 3.0 final

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Dec 5 02:33:56 CET 2008

Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> From: "A.M. Kuchling" <amk at amk.ca>
>> Perhaps the statement could say something like "we do not expect
>> most Python packages will be ported to the 3.x series until around the
>> time 3.1 is released in X months."  (where X=12?  6?)
>
> I would leave out any discussion of 3.1.  Its content and release date
> have nothing to do with when third party modules get updated.
>
> Also, we don't know the timing of the third-party updates.
> Some may never get converted.  Some may convert quickly
> and easily.  Someone (perhaps me) may organize a series of
> funded sprints to get many of the major packages converted.
>
> It would be better to simply say that at the present time,
> most important third-party modules do not yet support 3.0.
>
> FWIW, my father is Python newbie and I'm pointing him
> to 3.0 because it will be easier to learn than 2.6's hodgepodge
> of new and old features.  The 3.0 environment is much cleaner.

I agree with all 4 points, especially the last. I think newcomers should
be informed of the +/- of different versions and then choose for
themselves.  For full battery availability, 2.5 is it and will be for
some months.  For a fresh start without need of extras, 3.0 wins in my
experience so far.

tjr