[Python-Dev] Things to Know About Super

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 17:50:29 CEST 2008

On Aug 28, 5:30 pm, "Phillip J. Eby" <p... at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> How is that making things easier for application programmers?

We have different definitions of "application programmer". For me a typical
application programmer is somebody who never fiddles with metaclasses,
which are the realm of framework builders. But the borders are fluid, I agree.

> >Maybe you would need to duplicate a couple of lines and/or to introduce
> >an helper function,
>
> ...which then has to have an agreed-upon protocol that all metaclass
> authors have to follow...  which we already have...  but which you're
> proposing to get rid of...  so we can re-invent it lots of
> times...  in mutually incompatible ways.  :)

Notice that I was discussing an hypothetical language. I was arguing
that in principle
one could write a different language from Python, with single inheritance only,
and not lose much expressivity. I am not advocating any change to
current Python.
My point was in language design: I want to know how much I can remove
from a language
and still have something useful, in the spirit of the famous
Saint-Exupery quote.

 Michele Simionato