[Python-Dev] urllib.quote and unquote - Unicode issues

Matt Giuca matt.giuca at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 14:55:45 CEST 2008

> This whole discussion circles too much, I think. Maybe it should be pepped?

The issue isn't circular. It's been patched and tested, then a whole lot of
people agreed including Guido. Then you and Bill wanted the bytes
functionality back. So I wrote that in there too, and Bill at least said
that was sufficient.

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008, Bill Janssen wrote:

> But:  OK, OK, I yield.  Though I still think this is a bad idea, I'll shut
> up if we can also add "unquote_as_bytes" which returns a byte sequence
> instead of a string.  I'll just change my code to use that.

We've reached, to quote Guido, "as close as consensus as we can get on this
issue".

There is a bug in Python. I've proposed a working fix, and nobody else has.
Guido okayed it. I made all the changes the community suggested. What more
needs to be discussed here?