[Python-Dev] Reserving an arg space for Jython

Frank Wierzbicki fwierzbicki at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 19:38:57 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I was wondering if it might be possible for Jython to get an "arg
space" for command line execution.  We try to deliver the same
switches that Python delivers (so for example -c means "program passed
in as string" on Python and Jython).  We have some need for arguments
that would be Jython-specific, for example we would like to be able to
pass arguments to the Java process that starts Jython.  I would just
make one up, but it would be best if it was future compatible with
Python (so -J would be great, but it would be annoying if -J started
to mean something in a future Python).

So what do guys say?  Can we hava -J?  I don't think it is being used yet...

-Frank